Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tick Tock.

I hate waiting. For anything, really, just ask my husband. In some ways I guess living with a diabetic child has helped me with that little personal flaw, but it still grates on my nerves.

The current patience-requiring-annoying-thing in my life is this whole pump class deal. And then the scheduling, and then the more hurry up and wait to have the endos and insurance teams and pump manufacturer battle it out to get us our goods.

I think the reason behind my current bout of impatience is a pretty frequent and confusing series of highs throughout our daily schpeal. I never do snacks without testing any more, and half of the time she ends up with salami or cheese sticks because she's in the 200's. I don't correct, because an hour later at lunch time she's inevitably back down to 100-120. Go figure. I never noticed this trend previously, so I'm not sure if it's a new adjustment by her body, or if that's simply because we didn't test as frequently in the first few months. Maybe it's been this way all along, I'm not really sure.

I'm no rocket scientist, I'm trying to consider where I might make adjustments to her dosing, but it almost never fails - left alone at the current ratios she has, she's back down within range before every meal and usually at bed time. So I'm not really sure what I can do. I think this will justify a little call into the endo team tonight, the amount of highs lately are making the mom in me feel pretty uncomfortable.

That said, I feel like the pump will definitely help us with this kind of constant fluctuation. At least, I anticipate it will based on the things I've read, but I could be wrong. I know that diabetes is a running race where it's typically in the lead and you're doing your very best to stay right on it's heels... but still, the spikes are no good.

So, I'm going to sit here and buck up and put on my special 'be patient for crying out loud' hat, and see how everything goes. Thanks to the wonderful d-mom's out there and actually read through my blog (you guys are awesome) I'm prepared to set up the whole 'write a letter of medical necessity and get this ball rolling!' gig when the time comes. We're still waiting (2 weeks almost now) to get approval for 350 or 400 strips vs the 200 they give us as a default through insurance. It says right on the bottle 'test 10 times a day'... so explain the math in giving us 200 strips for 30 days. These people are giving us medications but are having trouble counting :P Grreeatt.

I'm also a little impatient about Maui, but I think I'm nervous enough about the whole she-bang with diabetes that it's helping me build up to it and wait it out without too much spazzing on my part. I'm starting to read up on the TSA rules, taking advice where I can on how to pack for a diabetic. I think the eating out and extended outside fun is what's making me a little nervous. I'm adaptable, I can hang, but the food stuff is going to be a little tricky. I can only do my best, I doubt the resort has carb counts for their restaurant foods. I just want her to be able to enjoy Hawaii with us. This trip feels almost like a 're-do'.

Despite having had an AMAZING trip to Kauai last year, I think for both my husband and I there's a bit of a shadow over the whole thing... all we can really seem to remember and focus on is the fact that she was actually deteriorating and 2 days after we got home we had the shock of our lives. Kinda put a damper on the whole thing. Looking at pictures from that trip are still a little bittersweet.. she was so skinny and tired!

We need a make-up trip :)  And we need a pump. And I need some coffee, too, so I'll leave it at that.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the letters! Also, just FYI, we never took a pump class. I know some endos "require" it, but you're a smart gal...and I think sometimes they underestimate how much us d-mama's know and study and learn WITHOUT their help! I think there's definitely room to be pushy - for example, some endos want you to do a saline trial, and I said "no, we are going straight to insulin." I figured wasting that time was silly. But then again, when it comes to diabetes, I'm a tiger mama, and if I want something for my kid, I'm going to get it, LOL! We just did a 3 hour "training" with our CDE and left that appointment with his pump hooked up (and a wing and a prayer...) But we did fine!

    I hope you are able to get it all worked out. And as far as the strips go, keep pushing. We always get 300 per month and every January, they try to give us 200 and one quick call/letter from our endo and it is fixed.

    Keep plugging away...you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Stephanie, Emerson did not do a saline trial,and started pumping insulin at the end of our couple hour training with the pump nurse.

    As for test strips, we have also had to fight that battle with the insurance company. We were receiving 350 strips per month last year and in January the insurance tried to cut us back to 200. After a lengthy phone call explaining that we need to test our 4 year old daughter 10-12 times a day, we were finally reapproved for 350.

    I hope you get to enjoy your trip, Sierra's pump and your coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting is hard for me too! I'm happy you get to "re-do" your trip. And I hope you get the strip issue figured out. I hate dealing with those headaches!

    ReplyDelete