I just wanted to throw an update out there on us...
We're still definitely slowly moving out of the honeymoon phase (at least in my opinion). We've upped her Lantus (basal) nightly dose from 2 gradually to 3.5 where it seems to be working. The ratios for meal times is a constant battle but we're learning to just work with it. 3 days of consistent numbers (highs, lows, whatever) seem to be my comfort zone for 'making a change now' decisions. Just to rule out any random circumstances that may occur day to day.
If any one is curious about how we track currently or what that looks like - here's an example of my log chart for Sierra:
Lovely right? Well, it makes sense to me which I figure is mostly what matters. I printed and laminated two of these sheets and use a projector pen to write in #s, scan a copy of that timeframe when it's full, then wipe and reuse. Green of me, right?? I used so much paper those first few months that I was slightly digusted by it. Plus who wants to keep a bunch of papers around for who knows how long? Now I have a folder and voila, diabetes info goes there. Genius.
What would be easier? Oh, yes, actually uploading the numbers at least directly from the meter and using that companies software to make graphs and see trends. That'd be pretty awesome. We do have a windows laptop that works... well, mostly works if you wiggle the power cord *just right* it charges, otherwise it's sort of a pain. I love my imac, but for some reason the meter company refuses to make software that's compatible. Big shame if you ask me, I'm sure plenty of diabetics use Apples :P
I like this log because I also track carbs, insulin doses etc. I can easily see trends and adjust as needed. For now it works, when we move to the pump I'm not sure what it will look like or how I'll choose to log then, but we'll figure out that piece when we get there.
I think we're still leaning towards Medtronic even though I'm 50/50 between that an Omnipod. The pod failures I read about are a little troublesome, but so are the tube kinks and air bubbles etc for the Medtronic side. No system is perfect, I figure any system is probably a little better, and a lot less archaic than what we're doing now. I do like that Medtronic is on the cutting edge, so there's that. We have some time to think about it because we've opted to hold off on getting the pump thing going until after Maui. I'd feel more comfortable really having a good grip on it before we change our surroundings and vacationing/eating out etc. That's hard enough to combat with a known system and we probably won't have our pump even if ordered today for a good 4-6 weeks, so that leaves only a week or two left before we hop on a jet plane to paradise. I think we'll wait until we get back.
We've been struggling a little bit with some highs and lows at school, I'm working with the teachers to try and figure out what the problem spots are. I almost had it yesterday! Sadly, I went a little too cautious on her lunch dose and she ended up high again for dinner. I think we've adjusted appropriately today and am really hoping that pans out. I know how she can be when she's fluctuating and am forever grateful her teachers get it and are willing to be patient and work through it with her. It's like she's a different little person sometimes, and I know blood sugar swings can do that... it's frustrating for all of us but you accept it and do your best.
I'm curious - those with little ones in school, do you have different dosing techniques? We're at totally different ratios for breakfast and lunch on school days - I'm not sure if it's activity level, excitement/adrenaline differences or what - but she had some pretty scary lows a few times a day recently and it scares the crap out of me! Thus the adjustments of course, but it's hard to get right. Our Endo said it's not uncommon to have different ratios for school days... do you think that rings true in your experience?
Once again if you follow all of this, thank you for reading. This one isn't terribly interesting but I'm just trying to keep you in the loop. Have a great week!

My daughter does not have different ratios for school days, but I have read of others that do. We do have a schedule in place where she is checked mid-morning and if she is below 150 she gets a snack and that seems to get her through to lunch just fine. (She drops a little in between meals from the lantus usually.) She had her first low at school last week and yes, it IS scary! Right now we don't do an afternoon check because she is good about feeling her lows, but we might have to if it becomes consistent. She definitely is more apt to be low in the afternoon when she had P.E. in the morning, so we might add a check at that time.
ReplyDeleteAdam has a few different insulin to carb ratios. At breakfast, he's at 1:16, mid-morning, 1:20 and the rest of the day, 1:22. We definitely tweaked a few things when school started. For example, Adam has a snack at 9am and then recess...well, he's a runner. So, we settled on bolusing him for only half of the snack carbs to account for the physical activity. He's also checked before AND after PE. If he's under 150 before, he gets 15 grams, and if he's under 150 after, he gets a snack as well. He tends to really drop in the afternoon, and they often have an extra recess, so we do a lot of checking!
ReplyDelete