Tuesday, February 21, 2012

'Normalcy'

Finally! Thanks to a few days of antibiotics, we have some 'stable' numbers again in Miss Sisi. That was a long two+ weeks, and I'm so happy we're currently out of that trend. Even her night numbers have been fantastic (in the 120-150 range). Actually last night we'd had such a nice trend we decided to try the whole "test at 11pm and let her sleep most of the night if it looks good" idea. Now in theory, this would've worked like a charm. Her number was slightly high but I knew it would come down after her snack finished working it's way through her system.

Ahhh, the promise of sleep!!

Naturally that means I couldn't sleep. And then something crashed in the house (we have no idea what it was, maybe the cat knocked something over in the garage) and it woke Sierra at 3am and scared her, so we tested again (170 woohoo) and then she stole my spot in our bed and I was banished to her Rapunzel draped twin bed. Nah, it's ok, her bed is actually pretty comfortable and being squished into a queen with my 6'3" husband and a wiggly toddler isn't my idea of a good time anyhow.

Regardless, I'm still just happy she's found (we've found?) some sense of normalcy and accuracy with her dosing again. That in itself is a huge deal.  She's also been a little better about getting her shots, still sort of squirmy and stiff but she doesn't whine about it daily any more - yes!

Frank is attending a pump class at the hospital tomorrow afternoon, it's step 1 in a process that has who knows how many steps - but it's one in the right direction either way. I'm interested to see what he'll report back to me so we can start this process. There's quite a bit on the road map for us over the next couple of months, and this is just one piece of the pie.

Max is turning 2, we have a trip to Maui to plan (sort of plan.. I guess his company did the bulk of it - even better!), and figuring out our dog situation is on the agenda. Not that this means we'll have one in a few months - but let me expand.

My dog of 13 years, Luna, passed away a few months ago. She'd been with me since I was 18 and was a doll with my kids. Sierra misses her very much, and talks about her constantly. She actually took her death very well ("Oh, wow, well, I'm sad. But dogs get old and sometimes they die. It's ok."), but within a day or two she was already proclaiming that we were going to just go ahead and get a NEW black dog named Luna. I told her maybe when she was 5. She's holding on to that for dear life. Yesterday she drew a picture "for the dog I'm getting when I'm 5. I told everyone!". Oooh man.

We've been looking into the idea of what is called a Skilled Companion Diabetic Dog. We found the program through earlyalertcanines.org and wanted to jump on it! These dogs stay in the home but help detect highs and lows (primarily lows) in diabetics by scent. Amazing right? Dogs are so cool. Anyhow, the diabetic in question needs to have been diagnosed at least a year (October for us) and you jump through several hoops to make it happen. To this point, we felt like we could do that. They all seemed achievable. Until I dove into the 'one week of required training' part.

Now, I'm more than willing to do training - unfortunately, JUST ME leaving this household for one week sounds pretty much impossible. Frank would need to take an entire week off and day to day is sort of my territory. That's a lot to just pass off for an entire week to someone who is  capable but doesn't DO it every day. Moms out there you'll know what I mean. Frank's no rube, but he doesn't do the grind - I do - and it took me a while to get here myself.

So now, we're not too sure. It may just not be in the cards, as amazing as the program and dogs sound. We're now tossing around the idea of adopting a career changed Guide Dog. That'd be pretty sweet. I primarily want a non-puppy, well trained dog. I have two kids, one of which is diabetic, and the last thing I need is an unruly baby-like pup who requires a ton of training and babying. A big dog we can handle, I can handle, and the kids are big enough to take walks with me and help fill dishes. Either way, at some point it will be nice to have that presence in our home again.

Anyone out there have experience with a diabetic dog? Should we not be tabling the idea just because of a week of hardship? I don't want to be lazy, but I don't want to get us in over our heads, either.

'Til next time, thank you for reading my ramblings!


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finding your normalcy again. That's the most difficult part of D for me. As soon as I think we have all her ratios set, something throws a curve all in there and before you know it, we are adjusting again.

    Good luck with beginning the pumping process. It changed our life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who has a diabetic alert dog for her little girl and she connected me to an online friend who has one for her daughter also. Both got them from a place called Wildrose Kennels in Mississippi. They had to travel there for training, as well, but they had to bring along the child with diabetes to meet the dog…so no separation for them. My online friend has blogged quite a bit about their experiences with a DAD and why they chose that particular kennel (she found several that were more or less scams). Unfortunately her blog seems to be down at the moment but here is her blog facebook page:

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheres-Wuby/144514112249455?sk=info

    Hopefully her blog will be up and running again soon and you can always contact her via email. She is super nice and is happy to help anyone interested in a DAD!

    We seriously considered putting an application in until our daughter started on the Dexcom. We have been happy enough with the alerts we get from it that we are no longer pursuing a DAD. However, I know that my friends who have them, couldn’t imagine managing their children’s diabetes without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige: Thank you for finding me and writing! We keep getting such mixed reviews from our endos about CGM and the consistency/accuracy of it all. I think down the line this will probably be something we do, but it just sounds like it's a ton of work and often not really correct (at least by their view). How often do you have to calibrate? Do you fully trust the numbers you're reading on the screen all of the time? It seems like it's almost as much work as just doing the normal 6-10 pokes a day (although I admit the trending views sound super helpful!!). I'm really curious about this technology but haven't heard a ton of positive feedback from doctors in our group so I'm torn.

      Delete
    2. Our endo was the same way! I'm not sure why they seem to be so distrusting of newer technology, but the way I look at it, is that I’m the one managing this disease 100% of the time (while she’s so young) and anything at all that makes it better and safer for my child is worth giving a try. I did a lot of research before getting it and, even though doctors were not giving it great reviews, the people who were actually using it on their children were the reviews I trusted most. I called Dexcom the very next day after finding this post

      http://www.theprincessandthepump.com/2011/05/dear-dexcom-when-thank-you-isnt-enough.html

      where the Dexcom literally saved her daughter’s life. Honestly, I feel it has saved my daughter from many, many dangerous lows…and a couple of near DKAs. We still do finger pokes several times a day (with all meals and anytime the cgm alerts) and calibrate every time we do a check. Technically, you only have to calibrate every 12 hours, but you never use the cgm number to figure insulin, so if you are doing the finger poke anyways…you might as well calibrate it.

      When we first started, we were putting the sensor on her buttocks, and there were times that it would alert false highs/lows or be quite off. Even then, though, the trending arrows were always spot on, and a huge help. Then we tried the back of her arms and it is almost always within 10 points! It’s amazing! We trust it a whole lot more now, but of course, trust how our daughter is acting and our instincts first…if she seems low and the cgm says 110…we always test. It can run about 15-20 min behind and sometimes she feels the lows before it alerts. She loves her “Dexie” and often checks it herself - I think it makes her feel safer, as well as us. It is very little work. We use EMLA cream for the insertion, so no pain, and it is only every 7 days (and you can actually restart it and go even longer…shhh…) and our daughter doesn’t mind it at all. She calls it her “sticker” and shows it off to anyone who will look! :)

      Delete