I thought our high days were slowly going behind us (for a bit, anyway) but sadly I was mistaken. A day after we had a few normal numbers they came back with a fury. They're still here, actually, and after a few rough nights and a visit to the doctor we found an ear infection to be the culprit.
It's interesting when you have to really think about giving your young child tylenol or advil in childrens liquid form due to the whole high-fructose-corn-syrup sugar factor. I mean, we were up for 3 hours with a screaming toddler complaining about her ear and about half way into it is when we pulled out the liquid aid - she felt a little better but bolted up a good 150 points (to 280), and that was pretty alarming. We have a kid wide awake and freaking out about her ear hurting, so do we break the news that she needs to calm down and get a shot or let it pass? We chose to just let this one go when she finally agreed to actually go back to bed around 2:30am. That was two nights ago, and all I can say is thank goodness for antibiotics. They may not be helping her random and weird highs - but she definitely feels better (and actually SLEEPS).
Sadly I have to say whereas in 2011 I feel like we had decent control in place, we haven't been off to the best start here in 2012 in managing her numbers. Or at least, her numbers have been all over the place and we feel stumped on the whole tracking it down and fixing it part despite joint efforts. It's pretty frustrating, actually. I expect at our next clinic appointment at Stanford we'll be met with a high A1C than her current 7.2. It sort of feels like failing a really important test to think about that number changing. Maybe it won't, I'll try to think positively, I'm just a little burnt out on the current roller coaster of numbers right now.
Max and I both were confirmed with sinus infections of our own today, so our family isn't in the healthiest spot imaginable - however, our kitchen looks even MORE like a pharmacy than it did before our antibiotic additions (d-moms and dad's you know what I mean, I seriously can't believe how many bags we come back with monthly from the pharmacy!). I think, despite this being the first month we've used the new pharmacy, the lady that worked behind the counter this week already knows me. She even mentioned Max was looking happier today. I've been there 3 days in a row between diabetes supplies, Sierra's ear meds, and now mine and Maxs. I will say I wish they had a drive thru :P
Next week (the 22nd) is our pump class date. Frank is going to the class and then we plan to move as quickly as we can to get the process rolling. My earlier optimism about this process is faltering after still not having approval for additional meter strips nearly 3 weeks after asking for it. Despite hand holding the insurance agent we work with directly and Blue Shield, and passing their information back and forth with the diabetes educator nurse at our hospital - well, supposedly things were faxed a week ago and I have yet to hear anything else about it. If it takes them a month to approve more strips (the CORRECT amount because 200 is a joke), I wonder what the pump supplies will be like.
Ah well, we're on the road so we're staying here.
No comments:
Post a Comment