As of today we've been 'pumping' for all of 5.5 days. It's been a little trial (and some error), but the general swing of things seems to be going relatively smoothly compared to what I was preparing myself for. We still have glitches we're going to need to work out, set changes that will go array, and the battle over taking the old set off (baby oil + hot bath are our friends - unfortunately we do that at night time, which isn't ideal for a new set because we need a few hours to be sure it's working properly!). Overall, though, I really can't complain.
I especially can't complain because my little girl LOVES her pump. I mean literally, she loves it. She talks about it all of the time, and about how great it is. She shows it off. She is pretty careful with it (for a 4 year old), she listens to the 'rules'. She expresses how happy she is that she doesn't need shots every day any more.
So really, who can complain about that? Like I said - it's not all puppies and rainbows, I may or may not have messed up a set and done a new one a few hours later that was questionable (but probably fine, but who knows?), I may have given too much or too little here with insulin - but generally, her few lows have been less severe (we haven't had anything below 59! That is HUGE for us! Mostly mid-60s if they're lows now which is much preferred to 40s). We've had a few highs which we're working the kinks out on, generally night time has been a little easier - we just have to get the dosing right and we should be doing pretty well.
It's early. I don't feel like throwing it out of a moving car, smashing it with a hammer, or anything else crazy yet. I hope this sticks. I want to knock on wood and hope the kinks we're seeing in the process that we're trying to iron out are the worst. It's a little frustrating but I knew there would be weird changes needed and to just roll with it. Not be afraid to keep giving and just watch what happens and learn from it.
It's been nice for us, and great for her!
Frank told me last night that Sierra had a little conversation with him about it last night - something to the effect of:
Sierra: "Daddy I don't have any diabetes any more because I have a pump now!"
Frank: "Oh, well sweetie you'll always have diabetes, but we don't have to do shots every day now, and that's great right?"
Sierra: *thinks about this* "Oh. Well. Yeah I guess that's ok because I love my pump and it's ok as long as I get to keep it FOREVER".
Sad and cute all at once. What an awesome kid.
And so the journey continues...

This is SO great to read! We will be in the same position in about a month and I am really nervous so it's great to read that you don't want to throw it out of a moving car! She sounds like my little girl, already saying she loves it and she hasn't even worn it yet except for a couple days trial. So sweet...love the pic. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear updates on how the journey continues.
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad that she likes it!! That is half the battle right there. :) I will tell you my site change story....our very first site change at home, I got Adam all ready, and I was SOO nervous. I got it inserted...then it fell off....because I forgot to TAKE OFF THE STICKER OVER THE ADHESIVE! So I had to stick him all over again. LOL.
ReplyDeleteSo glad the pump's working out that way... oh, and that comment! Like you said, sad and cuteness all mixed together. Hope all keeps working as well as it has so far!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that things are going well and she likes it. My daughter still likes to show off her pod...even if it is on her bottom (cute at 4 but maybe not a 16. LOL)!
ReplyDeleteAwww...awesome for sure!! Glad it's off to a good start. A great product for removing sets is the adhesive remover Uni-solve. It comes in a bottle or wipes. We like the wipes because they are easier to carry around in the diabetes bag. Just wipe around the set and then it just slides right off with no pain. We were buying it OTC until we found out it's actually covered by insurance! We get ours through Edgepark. Hope pumping keeps getting better and better!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! Anything that makes life with T1 better is a good thing. :)
ReplyDelete