Tuesday, July 10, 2012

On Semi-Cruise Control....

So, despite my doom and gloom fears of making 'the big switch' to pumping life, I have to admit. I'm still skeptically waiting for the big bell learning curve I've been so terrified of. Not to say it hasn't been challenging here and there, and required a little new routine change and mini-lessons adjusting to another new normal, it has, but overall I have to say I feel somewhat spoiled - at least so far. I'm afraid to put that out there in writing, but so far - honestly - it's been pretty wonderful having a pump.

We had one failed set change (looks like the site got a small infection and decreased the amount of insulin making it in or something...), a few confusing mishaps, but mostly I've just been making basal dose adjustments as needed (or at least how/when I feel they're needed.. so far it seems to be working) - those are the 24 hour constant drip rates from the pump. All in all, we've primarily been hovering between 80-130. We have a few highs, fewer lows, and I am at the moment just grateful for it! I'll take it as long as I can and keep rolling with the changes as they come - and I know they are constant, so that doesn't really bother me with this new technology. Adjust, watch, check - voila. Easier to see the adjustment and whether or not it's working now than I could with the single, 24 hour Lantus dose every day (shot) instead! Really pleased as punch over here.

Sierra still loves her pump, but doesn't have the same mellow anticipation for set changes (as I expected would happen...). Doing a site on her tummy is more difficult now because she sucks it in or tries to turn away while we're preparing to get it in there... I get it, needles - scary - suckage, but she still prefers it over daily shots, so eventually we get her still enough to make it happen.

The removal of sites was a big issue until I recently discovered Medi-Sol thanks to a few fellow T1D parents suggestions. Magic!! I am in love with this stuff and so is Sierra. It works wonders for her fear of removing old sites, it's painless and fast :) Woohooooo!

We had a field trip (family field trip) up to the city (San Francisco) to visit the Academy of Sciences last Friday, it was fun watching her explore, with the ability to correct her, or give snacks and cover them without the big shot-to-do we were used to. No big deal! This was her in the aquarium section getting a check (finger poke/blood glucose test - that's what we call them, checks or pokes) - she's such a trooper.


It can't be easy being 4 in a super cool place but having to stop to get your finger pricked, but she sure handles it gracefully most of the time. I am increasingly and always impressed with my brave, strong little girl.

So... I guess this is just a check in for us, the pump is going really well - we're still figuring out the finer points (like swimming and unplugging, covering and not covering, and how to tell when sites are bad or if something she had just needed a little more insulin than other things....), but I feel very strongly this was the right choice and I am sure Sierra agrees!

4 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging to read since we will be starting the pod in a couple weeks! I am still so nervous about all the "newness" with the pod and her not having that lantus in her. You are so right about how brave your girl is....these T1D kids are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog. We are still working on getting my daughter to move on to the pump. I'm hoping she'll be ready soon, as I don't want to push it. Glad things are going well and I will be checking back to see how things go :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that pumping is going well. I think you'll only like it more as you get more comfortable with it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy pumping is going well I love my ping! My niece and I both swim in our pumps since the ping is waterproof which I love since at my birthday party I ate a big piece of cake and I didn't have to wait for my bolus to jump in the pool or on the lake I can float all day without having to get out to reconnect to make up for the missed basal only time I took it off was when I was tubing. I just clip it to my bathing suit top and I'm good to go :)

    ReplyDelete