Tuesday, June 5, 2012

File this under 'bonehead'.

Well, I finally discovered the tricky problem we'd been having about Sierra's "mysterious" non-sense making highs post-lunch time at school until evening, when she'd drop low all night.

Despite my husbands request that I try to find a day to go with Sierra to school all day to observe and see what was going on, I had somehow convinced myself that would be futile. Not just futile but I'd all spend all day looking for everything wrong and stress myself out doing so.

Wow, I was wrong. Oops? Lesson learned. It's my fault she kept having the ongoing issue twice a week that hopefully (at least the nurses tell me it won't) harm her long term at all since it was only a few times a week for a couple of months. Still, I definitely have the guilt, but it's mixed with great elation and happiness that we discovered a very boneheaded mistake on my part was essentially causing the problem and now it's 100% addressed and she's back to normal. Just like that.

So what was it?

Well... so let me back up here. When I first trained and sent Sierra back to preschool for a few months I did all of the shots, went over I thought everything (and probably 'mentioned' that there were 2 kinds of insulin, however - since they'd only ever need to give her short acting at meal times I didn't go very deeply into that portion). As they started taking over the lunch time shots I sent only her Humalog (short acting) insulin to school because there was really no reason for both.

Then I got a nifty 'wallet' made by a friends grandma for Sierra's insulated lunch box "D-kit" and decided to include both kinds of insulin because there was special spaces for everything and that way if we ever wanted to just go out after school pick up I'd always have things for dinner if we needed it (when she gets her 24 hour dose of Lantus).

Brilliant! So I just started sticking it in there.

Major flaw? I neglected to make note of this to the teacher who does her shots. I didn't point it out. They both just say "insulin" on them. No indication beyond that. So... despite the different colored labels one would probably innocently assume I just put extra insulin in there as backup. Maybe we were trading brands? The vials are similar, I didn't mention it, so it must not have been all that important.

D'oh on me. Big time.

Live and learn.... live and learn. This is a constant adaption process, I'm just trying to keep up.

I'm glad we found the problem, even if it took longer than it should have and unnecessarily stressed us all out more times than it needed to. Moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment