So why change it up?
Pumping technology is pretty cool. Aside from just being 'pretty cool', it's pretty great at helping (most) those who try it in achieving better overall diabetes management. The more I read up on pumping, the more I'm convinced this is absolutely, no question, the way we need to go.
Here's the stitch - I'm
Omnipod , Animas Ping, and Medtronic.
The technology for all of these is very similar, the way they work is *pretty* similar with a few standing points (like the omnipod, for example is 'tubeless', while the other two are not etc).
Thus far we seem to be leaning towards the Omnipod, both for the tubeless part and the 'not having to disconnect insulin while in the water for 60 minutes' part. We live by the ocean, we spend a lot of time at the pool - she will probably swim, so I think this might be important. Then again, in all honesty, what the hell do I know?! Only what I've read. Frank is going to be attending the next pump class at Standford to get the real schpeal on these things, and I hope he comes back with a stronger feeling than I have now on which we might want to go with. If still undecided, the reps will have to battle it out in person at our house :)
Pumping will help a great deal with a toddler/young child who likes to graze, and Sierra was the queen of grazers pre-diabetes. I think we should buy stock in olives and cheese sticks at this point, because we go through them like crazy. They're considered a "free" food - very low carb content so technically she can go gangbusters without insulin if she's hungry between meals on these and a few other things, but I can't say 3 cheese sticks later I'm feeling so great about the idea. The pump would help with that. It would also help if she finishes the dinner we set up for her and she decides that she wants seconds - imagine, no shot for that! Great!
This can all trickle down into talks of CGMs (continuous glucose monitors - sound cool, are probably pretty cool, but sadly do not eliminate the need for multiple finger pokes a day and thus low on our list of priorities at the current moment, we might get there at some point but the pump is up first for sure). Anyway, I won't divulge into that whole case just yet. Baby steps, right?
There's also another really cool option out there for us to help with Sierras care. A Skilled Companion Alert Dog. We are absolutely going to shoot for this as soon as Sisi is 1 year past diagnosis (a requirement to get on the list). My lab mix of 13 years passed away about a month ago, and Sierra was madly in love with her. She took her death very well, and is now in an almost daily pattern of asking when we'll be getting a new dog - I said maybe when she's 5. That should be about right assuming they choose us based on our application during that whole process. But I know Frank and I would both LOVE to have not only another dog, but one that can potentially (and will!) detect highs and lows in Sierra. Really? Bonus. True bonus. Companionship and also a little bit of a partner in diabetic care. Pretty cool. We understand a great deal about what it takes to own a dog like this as Franks mother has raised Guide Dogs for the blind for 30+ years. We definitely are up to the challenge.
Anyway, just some Saturday musings. I managed to get some sleep last night so I'm feeling pretty chipper. Pumps are weighing pretty heavily on my mind - to those of you in diabetic community who want to chime in here on how you feel about pumps in general (or sell me on yours!) I'd absolutely love it. We're in the beginning process here and have a lot of learning to do... was it as crazy as that first 2 weeks after diagnosis trying to switch from MDI to pump technology? Reassure me it's worth it, if nothing else, I'm definitely a little nervous and normally I'm pretty gung-ho let's get it done, so this is throwing me for a bit of a loop.
And also - we're heading to Maui at the end of April. If we were to hop onto a pump in, say, early March - would that leave enough learning time to feel confident in flying somewhere with it and knowing what to do? We wouldn't be out of touch with our endocrines, but are we crazy if we plan it this way?
Oy! Moving into pumping territory is a huge leap. I'm sure you will get a lot of great responses. We started pumping about 6 months after Adam's dx (and we actually had our Dexcom first, but only because one of our neighbors works for Dexcom!)
ReplyDeleteWe have used two pumps - the Animas Ping and now, the OmniPod. I will tell you I am honestly torn between the two pumps. When pressed, I will say that Adam loves the OmniPod much better, and since he is the diabetic, that's what matters. It is also much easier to use than a traditional pump. The steps involved in a site change for a tubed pump vs. the OmniPod are much more involved.
For a newly diagnosed child, I was was glad we went with the Ping first, because of two things: the small basal increments (you can increase basal rates by .025, whereas on the Pod, you can only increase by .5) The other thing is the IOB issue - or how a pump calculates insulin on board (the amount of insulin circulating in their body at any one time). Wendy from Candy Hearts blog has a great description of IOB here (and it's a great review of the Ping!) http://www.candyheartsblog.com/2010/10/animas-ping-our-pump-choice.html
I have been able to work around the IOB issue on the OmniPod, but I can see where it can get you into trouble if you are not paying close attention. The new pods that are coming out this year (really, who knows when!) will calculate IOB the way the Ping does, so we are anxiously awaiting that!
I also have to admit, while we lost a ton of infusion sites while on the Ping due to Adam being crazy active and getting the tubing pulled, I do miss the small "footprint" of the infusion site. We're talking the size of a quarter vs. the Pod, which is huge. For us, to keep the pod on, we have to cover it with Hypafix adhesive tape, so that adds a bigger area covered with tape that is prone to irritation.
But? Adam is happier with no tubing, so again, I defer to the diabetic!
It is worth it to pump. The learning curve is large - it did take me a month not to be frustrated with the Ping. :) And honestly, I thought it would be an easier transition from the Ping to the Pod, but it has taken me a month to get used to this! The key is patience. Lots and lots of it. :)
Oooh patience huh? I've always joked that's just never been a virtue of mine. Guess life decided it was time :P I've heard some pretty negative things about Animas support... did you have any experience with that?
DeleteThe onboard stuff does concern me a little, but so does disconnecting for water activities :\ I'm so torn!! 4 years is a long time technology wise (or can be, anyway), you know? Are the current omnipod users being upgraded to the new technology once it's released?
Well, I can't say we had any problems with Animas support...but we did have issues with items not shipping, etc. Repeatedly. There was one issue where something had broken off of his pump (a rubber piece) and they were quick to send us a brand new pump, so I was happy about that.
DeleteWe are in AZ, so we swim ALL SUMMER. I'm looking forward to having the pod this year! Here's the thing with the 4 years...we only had the Ping for 1 year, and because we did the OmniPod "cut the cord" program, we only paid $150 for the PDM, and insurance pays for the pods...because they are billed under durable medical. So, that was awesome. And we still have our Ping if we ever decide to go back to it. All current OmniPod users will automatically be upgraded with a new PDM and new pods when they come out!
Oh boy, was I scared shitless too! Both my girls (12 & 15) switched to pumps around 6 months after their dx. It has been worth it! We left the clinic with pumps, went out for lunch and they both giggled because they didn't have to take a shot. Priceless! All the pumps deliver insulin so you should get your hands on them to try them. My girls both have Medtronic Minimed Revels. We chose the Revel because: they didn't want the Pod, the IOB calculation with the Pod, girls and I liked the flow of the menus, I liked how they didn't have to dial up the insulin amt before delivering. Now, if I had a youngster, the remote of the Animas and tubelessness of the Pod would have had much deciding power. We were VERY lucky with our pump transition. It went pretty smoothly. Patience is needed and there will be less sleep. I read the book Pumping Insulin before and helped me feel more prepared. Good luck! And I would think the trip would definately be doable. Don't let D stop you. (You'll have MDI backup supplies with anyway.) You deserve Maui!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I feel like I'm normally a pretty straight forward gung-ho chick but man, messing with something like this just gives me the heebie-jeebies. Less sleep huh? Oooy... that part sounds daunting, there's already so little of that as is! I know everything is more or less temporary though, so hopefully it'll get back at least to this whole once-a-night (most of the time) gig?
DeleteI think the tubelessness + wireless of omnipod is what's really appealing. The pod is definitely heavy on the real estate on such a little body but the ease of use seems pretty nice. What do we know, though? Thank you so much for leaving your 2 cents, I really appreciate it!
Found your blog through Stephanie, and so glad I did! Our little guy (3 1/2 now) was dx'ed at 14 months, and we started on the Animus Ping. We added the Dex 6 months later after way too many colds and stomach bugs caught us by surprise. We just switched to the Omnipod, and Stephanie pretty much sums up our take on the Ping and Animus above. We just went to Maui in the fall for the first time and loved it. Have a great time, and good luck with the pump decision! Happy to share. - Kristin
ReplyDeleteWow, 14 months, I can't even imagine. I'm sort of afraid for our first illness, sort of glad we came into this at the tail end of what seems to be prime sickness-month(s) in our area. No illness yet, knock on wood. It's interesting that so many took the leap from Ping to Pod, I'm wondering if the increase (or decease) rate will play that big a factor? I don't know a ton about how much .5 vs .25 might be at her current dosage rates... is that a pretty big deal? Thank you for coming here and writing, I love hearing from other D-moms and really can't say how much I appreciate the help during this crazy time.
DeleteMy son is 11-1/2 and was diagnosed at 13 months so we've been at this for almost 10-1/2 years now. We did MDI for the first 9 years becuase he was happy with the shots and we wanted wearing the pump to be his decision as much as possible. I, like you, didn't want to deal with the learning curve since everything was working just fine for us. We did a three day trial with the Omnipod and he hated it! I was HUGE, uncomfortable and came off in the shower. I wore one, too, even though I do not have diabetes and felt the same about it. At the time Omnipod did not have a recycling program either, I don't know if that has changed. We went with the Animas Ping 1-1/2 years ago and have had no problems other than the clip getting banged up but the pump still looks brand new. Their customer service is great and we've ordered our loaner pump for our trip to Kauai next month. I love the remote function, I was able to give him insulin in the baseball dugout without having to unpack his pump which was secured in a protective pouch. The IOB function is great and so is the ability to give .10 units. There is a learning curve but it's not as bad as the newly dx curve. I'm glad we made the switch to a pump, life is so much easier and our control is better. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYeah, we're getting ready to start pumping over at our house too.
ReplyDeleteOh, wait...
-Dork Dad
We have to agree with you – pumping technology is pretty cool. You have come to the right conclusion – making an insulin pump Sierra’s lifeline is the right thing to do. We have been podding since June 2011 and don’t know how we made it the first 4 ½ months of T1D without it. We completely understand your apprehension for the unknown but you should absolutely not fear the learning curve associated with a pump. From reading some of your other posts, you and your family have already made great strides in effectively managing this disease (we are very impressed that your threshold for defining a high is 180). Learning the functionality of any pump will pale in comparison to what you have already mastered. You should view this as simply incorporating a device to help make some of the things you already do a whole lot easier. It is easy for us to say now, after already having gone through the transition, but trust me – you have nothing to worry about.
ReplyDeleteGetting comfortable with a pump will be nothing compared to your first weeks after diagnosis in my opinion. It took us only two or three days to feel like we had a really good handle on the basic functionality and began exploring some of the other features. Giving yourself several weeks before going on vacation would be more than enough time to become very confident with your pumping skills. I bet you will feel like you are ready to take your show on the road in half that time.
It sounds like you have done your homework on the different pump options. For us the decision to go with the OmniPod was an easy one – for many of the same reasons you mention. We just made a post on our blog yesterday that is our review of the OmniPod, both the pros and the cons. When we were in the information gathering stage we found that there were not many sources for actual user reviews. We hope that over time other pumpers find our blog and leave reviews of their pumps to provide current and future pumpers with more detailed information to help their decision. Feel free to give our posting a read to get more familiar with the OmniPod and to reach out to us if there are other things you are curious about. We made another post about a month ago that discussed our “Favorite Things” from a diabetes management standpoint. There are a few items on the list that are specific to our use of the OmniPod that you may find helpful.
Good luck!
Thank you for the response! I'd definitely like to visit your blog and see the review you wrote. I think my only major hang up is the size of the pod on such a small girl. She seemed bothered by it but only wanted it on her stomach (the sample we received)... I don't know that she'd 'let' us us another site (like her bottom) - or even how we'd place it on her bottom without it being too obtrusive, it's like 1/3rd the size of a cheek! I know smaller pods are in the works but who knows when those will actually come to market right?
DeleteI definitely appreciate you taking the time to come here and share your thoughts with me(us). We're doing our best here, and while we recognize what a high is for us I have to say the correction factor is still lacking. I wish I could figure out more adjustments on my own but I suppose that will come in time.
Thank you again, off to read your review!
I completely understand how you are feeling right now about the pod size. We also had that worry at the very beginning and I am sure everyone that chooses OmniPod for their very little one does. But for us, and Emerson, it was just a matter of getting used to. We were amazed at how quickly it just became a part of her, where she now unconsciously compensates for it being there and is completely un-phased by it. Prior to that though there were a few instances where she accidentally hit them on things as, like you say, they do stick out when on the butt. We have not used the stomach yet but do use the back of the arms and the lower back - in addition to the butt - and do think the pods are much less "at-risk" in those locations.
DeleteI also understand your fear that Sierra might not be completely cooperative with pod applications and moving them around. I think that is natural and what most of us go through. For us just constantly reminding Emerson that this was allowing her to eliminate injections, and telling her how cool the OmniPod is, helped. But what really helped make it become routine was looking at pictures of other podders and watching a video of Caleb found on This is Caleb blog of him doing a pod change. Perhaps this would help Sierra become more comfortable quicker as well if you do decide to go with the OmniPod.
To give you a reference point to compare to, Emerson started on OmniPod before she was 4. At the time she weight about 40 pounds. She has gained a couple of pounds and grew a couple of inches since that time so the pods already seem much smaller on her body. So with the speed at which they grow and just getting used to the new "body part" I think you would be amazed at how quickly the concerns with size become alleviated.
My youngest son was diagnosed in Dec.2010. He started on the Omnipod and Dexcom in June. 2010. Isaac def. wanted a tubeless pump. It has been wonderful. The automatic insertion is great. We love it compared to MDI. When swimming(alot) this past summer we had no problems with it coming off. They do offer a recycling program. The new pods in Europe do have IOB (curr. here it is only calculated for correction insulin.) A rep. stated that the new smaller pods would be out this summer..but who knows :)Isaac also plays lots of organized sports, hunts and is very active just being outside playing..Omnipod has been great for him and the support/service from Omnipod have been very good. He can wear the pods on his legs/abdomen/back/arms/upper buttock. The pdm makes things so easy - Whichever pump you choose-best wishes.
ReplyDeleteJust now saw this post and wanted to comment. I haven't read the other comments, but we love Omnipod. Of course, no pump is perfect, and truthfully, I wanted Matthew to get Animas, but he HATED the tubing when we did the trial. So...I was determined that we would make omnipod work. It's been a huge blessing. Matthew has so much freedom. (I never liked him chowing down on tons of free stuff either. I wanted him to eat like a normal kid...)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I think you could do the trip and be fine. And actually, being on a pump then will give you a lot of flexibility. If you're super active one day, you can do a temp basal and lower the insulin. So nice sometimes.
Good luck choosing a pump. I really think you'll like it. We did it mostly go give Matthew freedom, but honestly, I love being able to give him such small corrections overnight. That's been a huge blessing to us!