I can almost remember the days when the idea of staying up until 2am (or 3am, or 4am.....) was a challenge met with great happiness and vigor. That currently feels like a pretty long time ago and while I rarely just stay up until 2am, every night that the alarm goes off I feel a momentary dread before dragging myself out of my warm bed to enter the bears cave (aka: Sierras room).
I get it! Who in their right mind would like to be woken up out of a nice cozy sleep to be jabbed in the finger by a grumpy parent anyway? Really, I appreciate her stand point and the frequently resulting tantrums that (whether minor or massive - you flip the coin!) keep us up even longer than necessary on a handful of nights.
But yanno, seriously. I keep hearing about kids who sleep through their pokes, their correction shots or even infusion sets! WHAT? This sounds like some kind of magic world that doesn't really exist. It's the current Santa Clause of Diabetes for me. Sierra pops her eyes open the second her door moves along the carpet half of the time, never mind sleeping peacefully while I grab a finger for pricking. Usually it results in a mini-whine about which finger and her not wanting to open her eyes to look for the button to actually engage the needle for said poke (which she can't find without opening her eyes, obviously). But beware, if YOU push the button on the lancet device FOR her - the beast awakens and that's no joke. This is a 'flip out' clause. Do not pass go, or if you do - go at your own risk :|
I'm at the mercy of this grumpy little bean at 2am when my nerves are already fried and fuzzy around the edges. I hope one day she will sleep through it. I guess I thought if that was going to happen maybe by now would be it - but no luck to date.
This is just one of those "hrmph, this sucks" things about diabetes. Frank says I should look on the positive side - and he's mostly right - but I think there's room for honesty without a blah, lingering morosity. Unfortunately, the 2am alarm that startles me awake most nights is the rough patch for me.
You'd think Sierra's slept 10-12 hours the way she bounces into the room at 7am the following morning, where can I siphon some of that energy?? Coffee doesn't hold a candle to her internal workings.
<envy>
I have been envious of the sleep through too! My little guy was 14months old when he was diagnosed and he always woke up when we went to test him at night. Now after almost a year and a half he doesn't wake up much anymore for testing. Hoping that you will get there too in time. Thinking of you all.
ReplyDeleteHey it gives me hope if it happened eventually for you too! Fingers majorly crossed over here :) Thanks for leaving me a note!
DeleteExhaustion from the 2am checks really gets to me too. I sometimes can't believe so many of us live like this. Maybe your daughter will eventually start sleeping through the checks....I sure hope so! That would make things so much harder having to rationalize about which finger in the middle of the night! We did have to make a lot of increases to her insulin the first 6-12 months and then finally the increases were much smaller and not as frequent. I'm also impressed that you are already ready to make the move to a pump. I am terrified! But we have figured out a good routine with shots and a great A1C finally. (I'm sure that will change now.) My daughter was diangosed a year and a half ago at the age of 4,she is now 6. Not sure if I ever introduced myself! I'm Nicole and I blog at www.vabeachduckfamily.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete